I was hoping I could use my knowledge to help defend my country, but when the moment of truth arrived, I was sent to the occupied territories to control a civilian population.
Questions about Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government’s commitment to democracy have intensified with the reintroduction of a bill designed to cripple the Israeli human rights groups that monitor government and army practices in the Occupied...
Recently I’ve been asking myself: If Breaking the Silence had been around when I was still a conscript or reservist, before I became a journalist and had my own platform, would I have sat down with their interviewers? I’d like to think that I would
Israel’s Foreign Ministry is going after Israeli human rights and anti-occupation activists overseas. Doing so will only make things worse for Israel.
An organization of former Israeli soldiers dedicated to shedding light on the dark side of the country's military is coming increasingly under fire, roiling a country in the grips of a battle against the burgeoning threat of international isolation and...
Rather than reciting the Kiddush on the ashes of those we have bombed, let us recite the Kaddish, a prayer of mourning, for the Palestinians and Israelis killed in the latest round of violence in Gaza. Let us mobilize our community to unequivocally oppose...
Earlier, the Foreign Ministry announced it was trying to thwart a scheduled exhibition in Zurich by the nonprofit, which includes testimonies by IDF soldiers on alleged human rights violations.
2014’s Operation Protective Edge was just the latest in a long list of operations used by the IDF to “cut the grass” in the region.
New reports shed light on the human toll of past conflicts
A former AP reporter who crusades against the international media’s alleged anti-Israel bias takes aim at the Israeli NGO of veteran soldiers in an article that is long on … well, length. But short on substance.
15.05.2015[The Jewish Week]
Everyone who cares about our path and who refuses to accept tired declarations like, “We had no choice,” as an excuse for the loss of values, must rise up and protest.
It is hard, perhaps impossible, to know exactly how ethics factor into each IDF decision on the ground. But there is solid evidence to suggest that, at least in Operation Protective Edge, Kasher’s version of the IDF code dominated practice. One of the...
06.05.2015[The Times of Israel]
One of our veteran activists and researchers at Breaking the Silence has begun blogging for The Times of Israel - check out his first piece here on our book of testimonies on Operation Protective Edge
As a former sniper with the Israeli army, I am calling for for an investigation of the events that took place in Gaza last year
05.05.2015[The Washington Post]
An organization of Israeli soldiers known as “Breaking the Silence” released a report containing testimonies from more than 60 officers and soldiers from the Israel Defense Forces who served during the 50-day war against Hamas militants last summer...
Soldiers who took part in last year's Gaza conflict tell Breaking the Silence, an NGO run by former Israeli soldiers, that they were told "If you shoot someone in Gaza, it's cool, no big deal"
A group of Israeli veterans released testimony on Monday collected from more than 60 soldiers of various ranks who fought in Gaza during the war in summer of 2014.
In July 2014, Israel launched a major ground offensive into the Gaza strip in response to rockets being fired by Palestinian militants and to destroy a network of tunnels used by Hamas and other factions. By the time they left some 2,200 Palestinians...
Testimonies of Israeli combatants about last year’s war show apparent disregard for safety of civilians
01.04.2015[The Times of Israel]
Posing as IDF reservist, Oren Hazan gives false testimony to Breaking The Silence group on rights abuses by IDF in Gaza
As the Israeli occupation continues and soldiers are told to make their presence felt and terrify Palestinians in the West bank, violence and abuse of innocent people is going to take place, Achiya Schatz from Breaking the Silence, told RT.
- Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:41:27Watch this testimony portray routine conduct in houses that were seized during Operation Protective Edge
- Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:33:41our activist coordinator, describes his journey from serving as a sniper to becoming a BtS activist @haaretzcom
- Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:32:29Each week we go on tours with the general public, students and groups
Join us on our next tour http://t.co/HN45mMnNkR http://t.co/1zc9rNQKom
- Sun, 28 Jun 2015 14:09:57The Occupation Dictionary returns!
And this week>> Mapping
- Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:32:51NYC here we come! Join Avner Gvaryahu 2day for a talk hosted by @Partners4Israel @PeaceNowUS @hashomerhatzair >>
- Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:52:51the @Independent on the Israeli government's relentless efforts to silence us and other human rights NGOs in Israel
- Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:34:36Important report by @YeshDin which includes testimonies collected by BtS>>
- Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:49:14Read this next piece at @haaretzcom by @AnshelPfeffer on serving during the first Intifada & BtS role in our society
- Tue, 16 Jun 2015 13:27:48Big thank you to the @NewIsraelFund & Temple Beth Am for hosting us, and to the community who came to listen https://t.co/DRTAsjJlZ2
- Mon, 15 Jun 2015 13:48:55Read this article by @FoxNews to understand the pro-occupation forces in the Israeli government working to silence us
- Sun, 14 Jun 2015 15:30:04Pics from our tour of Hebron today with people who wanted to see what occupation looks like>> http://t.co/nxekVoqCMf http://t.co/oKmeS7ggcw
- Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:39:25Join us tonight in Seattle for a talk on how we fought in Gaza in 2014, hosted by @NewIsraelFund with Avner Gvaryahu
- Wed, 10 Jun 2015 15:58:17We were happy to meet the hundreds of people who visited our booth at the Hebrew Book Week in Tel Aviv. Come meet us!
- Sun, 07 Jun 2015 14:10:23A taste of what we have been up to over the past few weeks, meeting with the Israeli public on tours & lectures
- Sun, 07 Jun 2015 13:28:03A taste of our past week of activities with Israeli students and the public, talking about occupation.
- Thu, 04 Jun 2015 16:31:31Deputy Foreign Minister Hotovely calling on the Israeli Embassy in Switzerland to cancel our exhibition in Zurich
- Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:18:41compelling piece in @jewschool_com discusses how the Jewish community in the Diaspora should oppose the occupation
- Tue, 02 Jun 2015 14:22:12Watch this video testimony where the testifier describes the rules of engagement during Operation Protective Edge
- Mon, 01 Jun 2015 12:48:10Some pics from 'How we fought in Gaza' panel at @NewAmericaNYC by @giligetz https://t.co/B9V8QsjU2W
- Sun, 31 May 2015 12:42:02Tmorrow, 1/6 Join Avner Gvaryahu 4 a talk about how we fought in Gaza 2014. Hosted by @FMEP at @CarnegieEndow