The Israeli army is both respected and feared as a fighting force. But now the country's military is facing a backlash at home and abroad for its treatment of children in the West Bank, occupied territory.
The occupation doesn’t only takes its toll on Palestinian adults; in even more ways, it affects Palestinian children. In occupied East Jerusalem, children as young as six are snatched from their beds or on their way to or from school in order to give testimony or be questioned.
Military judge cites discrimination after police fails to bring settler involved in the clashes to court.
Ten years after the Or Commission was formed to investigate the deaths of 13 Arabs protesters at the hands of Israeli police, the government is taking contradictory steps toward implementing its findings.
Ian McEwan, John le Carré and Julian Barnes are among British authors backing impoverished Palestinian villagers against Israeli army attempts to evict them to make way for a shooting range.
The Ramat Migron outpost is identified with young, extreme right-wing settlers known as the hilltop youth. In recent years, several Palestinians have been attacked and property destructed in the area.
State responds to two High Court petitions to stop planned evacuation of eight villages in south Hebron hills.
Detention of child in Hebron meant to 'thwart a security threat,’ IDF's legal adviser says, but adds that soldiers erred in detaining boy’s father; B'Tselem: Soldiers committed 'grave errors.'
Court responding to petition charging that nobody questioned the Border Police soldier who fired the tear-gas canister that cracked Tristan Anderson's skull in 2009.
When you’re a child musician from Gaza, not a rock star like recent Arab Idol winner Mohammed Assaf, the Israeli army labels you a security risk, and getting to Ramallah is a far more arduous journey.
Everything seems to be forbidden here; only the water tower of Avigail, the vineyards of Sussia, the cowsheds of the Maon Farm and the home of Mitzpe Yair are apparently permitted.
David Grossman, Amos Oz and AB Yehoshua are among 24 writers calling for reprieve for villages in South Hebron hills
25.06.2013[The Daily Beast]
The gathering was organized by the Association for Civil Rights in Israel and Breaking the Silence, among others. And it was an answer to the rallying cry of a group of Israeli authors who had signed a letter penned by one of their number—David Grossman—who called to all "those who are still able...
20.06.2013[The Jewish Daily FORWARD]
"by speaking out about the nature of the occupation and what it does to generations of young people serving in the IDF, these women are doing something far more provocative. For their honestly, they merit the gratitude of all of us who care about Israel."
Gil Hillel, and activist in Breaking the Silence, writes about the routine of occupation.
Testimonies from former Israeli soldiers have failed to touch the Israeli public or change the state’s policies. The IDF gives an ‘explanation’ for why it ignores these and all other occupation stories told by the men and women of Breaking the Silence.
This campaign is of special significance to me because it gives voice to the women who comprise Israel’s army and its mechanism for continued occupation and oppression, happening within a society (local and global) in which, as women, they already exist in a gender power dynamic of systematic discrimination...
The message reads: “We are the army. Be careful if we see you, we’re going to catch you or come to your house.”
A certain air of nostalgia dominated Maariv’s headline last Thursday: “Due to criticism in the world, IDF parts ways with white phosphorus”
Israeli Ta’ayush activists who were accompanying Palestinian shepherds in the southern West Bank village Umm al Amad on Saturday were confronted by a soldier who lost his cool, to say the least.
19.04.2013[This American Life]
This week, Israeli soldiers take snapshots of Palestinian boys, one house at a time, in the middle of the night. This and other stories where getting the picture gives you the upper hand.
- Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:06:24Why Break the Silence?
"I knew I wanted to do something about everything I saw and experienced...that there's...
- Sun, 09 Mar 2014 15:54:40Daniel Roth, who joined us on friday, posted photos he took while he was with us on the tour on his blog. Watch...
- Sun, 09 Mar 2014 15:41:59A. Daniel Roth, who joined us on friday, posted photos he took while he was with us on the tour on his blog....
- Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:02:57The settlers of Hebron tried to prevent us from coming here, but 250 people came with us today to see the...
- Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:57:05Last week we marked 20 years since the Goldstein massacre. Tomorrow we'll show those of you who will join us what...
- Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:28:28"Dozens of Tel Aviv storeowners woke up Tuesday morning to find that anti-occupation activists had posted fake...
- Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:41:02MK Merav Michaeli @ BTS panel about the massacre: Israeli society has come to accept the suffering of Arabs. It has stopped being an issue.
- Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:08:34"Who do you turn to for redress when your city is occupied by a military force that gives violent settlers almost...
- Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:05:24At 5:00am on February 25th, 1994, in the middle of the month of Ramadan, a settler from Kiryat Arba by the name...
- Sun, 23 Feb 2014 13:03:22"Israel’s greatest danger is its role as occupier.
I HAVE been following the discussion in Australia regarding...
- Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:01:16A crew from the Social TV joined us lately to have a look at what's going on in the city today, and how it's...
- Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:57:38"This granny began to scream and cry and finally we let her across, because it really was inhuman to make her go...
- Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:15:56This morning the "Ha'aretz" newspaper published an open letter from Nasser Nawajah to Israeli minister Naftali...
- Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:20:54"One of the Facebook pages I follow is that of Breaking the Silence, the organization that presents testimonies...
- Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:05:33IDF spokesperson unit, who are you lying to, us or yourselves?
IDF spokesperson unit posted a video this...
- Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:55:51"we're in the war room, it's Saturday, all calm, suddenly we hear shooting… We get on the radio and ask: Who...
- Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:41:32"Four Corners", An Australian prime time Television investigative journalism show, made a documentary about child...
- Tue, 11 Feb 2014 15:23:18Is boycotting settlements anti-Israel? @NaomiPaiss, from @NewIsraelFund, in an excellent article on #jewishjournal:
- Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:14:20Archaeological excavations are a widely recognized tool for confiscating land in the Occupied Territories. This...
- Fri, 07 Feb 2014 11:48:01RT @MairavZ: En route to occupied #Hebron to see the latest developments on the ground with @BtSIsrael