2014’s Operation Protective Edge was just the latest in a long list of operations used by the IDF to “cut the grass” in the region.
New reports shed light on the human toll of past conflicts
A former AP reporter who crusades against the international media’s alleged anti-Israel bias takes aim at the Israeli NGO of veteran soldiers in an article that is long on … well, length. But short on substance.
15.05.2015[The Jewish Week]
Everyone who cares about our path and who refuses to accept tired declarations like, “We had no choice,” as an excuse for the loss of values, must rise up and protest.
It is hard, perhaps impossible, to know exactly how ethics factor into each IDF decision on the ground. But there is solid evidence to suggest that, at least in Operation Protective Edge, Kasher’s version of the IDF code dominated practice. One of the...
06.05.2015[The Times of Israel]
One of our veteran activists and researchers at Breaking the Silence has begun blogging for The Times of Israel - check out his first piece here on our book of testimonies on Operation Protective Edge
As a former sniper with the Israeli army, I am calling for for an investigation of the events that took place in Gaza last year
05.05.2015[The Washington Post]
An organization of Israeli soldiers known as “Breaking the Silence” released a report containing testimonies from more than 60 officers and soldiers from the Israel Defense Forces who served during the 50-day war against Hamas militants last summer...
Soldiers who took part in last year's Gaza conflict tell Breaking the Silence, an NGO run by former Israeli soldiers, that they were told "If you shoot someone in Gaza, it's cool, no big deal"
A group of Israeli veterans released testimony on Monday collected from more than 60 soldiers of various ranks who fought in Gaza during the war in summer of 2014.
In July 2014, Israel launched a major ground offensive into the Gaza strip in response to rockets being fired by Palestinian militants and to destroy a network of tunnels used by Hamas and other factions. By the time they left some 2,200 Palestinians...
Testimonies of Israeli combatants about last year’s war show apparent disregard for safety of civilians
01.04.2015[The Times of Israel]
Posing as IDF reservist, Oren Hazan gives false testimony to Breaking The Silence group on rights abuses by IDF in Gaza
As the Israeli occupation continues and soldiers are told to make their presence felt and terrify Palestinians in the West bank, violence and abuse of innocent people is going to take place, Achiya Schatz from Breaking the Silence, told RT.
23.03.2015[The Jewish Daily FORWARD]
In the United States, Jews who seek an end to the occupation have tended towards various types of activism. At J Street, the discourse is political. At Jewish Voice for Peace, it’s international. This has left the grassroots nonviolent direct action...
I grew up in a settlement. I met more Palestinians that the average Israeli. But it was only during my military service in the West Bank that I realized our 47-year rule over the occupied territories must come to an end.
“On one occasion we trashed the house of a Palestinian we thought was a ‘terrorist’ and he and his wife were roughed up and taken out into the street,” recalled Schatz. “We later found out we had the wrong guy. The guy we wanted was living two...
Twenty-one years have passed since Baruch Goldstein entered Hebron’s Cave of the Patriarchs and massacred dozens of Muslim worshippers. Since then, Palestinians in the city have been placed under a harsh regime of separation and movement restriction....
07.02.2015[The Leftern Wall]
On Friday, February 6th, around 70 Israelis went on a tour of the South Hebron Hills, led by the indispensable Breaking the Silence and Ta’ayush, and sparked by the rad group of Jerusalem activists who’ve been organizing actions together since the...
Instead of ignoring the Palestinian stores and homes whose doors the army welded shut, instead of ignoring the racist graffiti and segregation, President Rivlin had an opportunity to look occupation in the eyes. He didn’t.
Yehuda Shaul, an activist at Breaking the Silence – Israeli soldiers talk about the occupied territories, tells host Yael Wissner-Levy that despite the important steps Rivlin has taken in the name of coexistence, this visit shows he is trying to normalize...
- Mon, 25 May 2015 17:22:56“What makes a country good isn’t whether it's happy or not, it’s the ethics and morality of the country." https://t.co/IfgCUFbwgL
- Fri, 22 May 2015 10:31:57Throughout Operation Protective Edge the IDF carried out mass destruction of civilian infrastructure and homes>> https://t.co/Tbn7Qyf30N
- Thu, 21 May 2015 12:25:10"If it looks like a man, shoot. It was simple: You’re in a motherfucking combat zone." http://t.co/WeDN2aGupX http://t.co/7owG994ddE
- Wed, 20 May 2015 13:05:00"Getting to the truth should not be left to soldiers willing to break the silence." @TheWorldPost
- Tue, 19 May 2015 12:11:01We may not be doing a great service to 'the national morale' but we'll do a small service to the truth @TheEconomist
- Sun, 17 May 2015 00:36:27RT @972mag: You mad, bro? | Why is @MattiFriedman so mad at @BtSIsrael ? http://t.co/0PpDTwevW3 by @lisang & @MairavZ http://t.co/3RPVtqf05u
- Sat, 16 May 2015 23:21:30RT @adanielroth: My Photos from the Susiya march In the South Hebron Hills http://t.co/TYlz2yGCKj cc @ATLCol @taayush @rhreng @BtSIsrael @M…
- Wed, 13 May 2015 17:20:12members of Knesset from the @meretzparty read soldiers' testimonies from Operation Protective Edge in the plenum
- Tue, 12 May 2015 20:24:42Now at our event of the soldiers' testimonies from Operation Protective Edge, thank u for coming to listen
- Tue, 12 May 2015 17:07:09RT @knesset99: חברי מרצ קןראים במליאה עדויות של חיילים מארגון שוברים שתיקה. ח"כ אורן חזן לא מפסיק עם הערות ביניים ואדלשטיין קורא אותו לסדר …
- Mon, 11 May 2015 14:39:31Our testifiers told us their stories, they also shared photos and videos that they took throughout the operation
- Fri, 08 May 2015 14:51:18Watch: this how we fought in Gaza 2014>> https://t.co/6Is9hH3HB5
- Thu, 07 May 2015 16:08:07Mr. Steinberg: your tie, like your monitoring, is a bit to the right @ngomonitor @GeraldNGOM @ygurvitz
- Thu, 07 May 2015 13:50:23More from @972mag on soldiers' testimonies:
- Wed, 06 May 2015 20:13:56.@LTCPeterLerner you didn't answer yesterday on @i24news_EN . Did solders get orders to shoo t to kill anyone in their area?
- Wed, 06 May 2015 18:48:45"Whoever you are, whatever your politics, you need to know what happened in Gaza." @bradleyburston for @haaretzcom https://t.co/CTkLcprtzs
- Wed, 06 May 2015 16:18:57One of our veteran activists and researchers has begun blogging for @TimesofIsrael - check out his first piece here>>
- Wed, 06 May 2015 15:38:06RT @democracynow: Live: Israeli veterans break silence on "policy of indiscriminate fire" during 2014 Gaza War @BtSIsrael Watch:
- Wed, 06 May 2015 15:37:36RT @Moriel_RZ: Check out @avner87 of @BtSIsrael right now: https://t.co/jt9wpT2D7L
- Wed, 06 May 2015 15:00:32Listen to us live, now on @democracynow talking about our publication of soldiers' testimonies from Operation Protective Edge. join us!