The dissonance generated by a visit to Hebron and a dinner in Tel Aviv jolted Israeli-born writer Ayelet Waldman. It also sparked the genesis of a project with her husband, writer Michael Chabon, and Breaking the Silence: enlisting world-famous writers...
Israel is trying to force a leading anti-occupation NGO to reveal the identities of the soldiers who testified to it.. a move that the group says will effectively put it out of business.
This case smacks of scapegoating. Instead of investigating the Israel Defense Forces’ assault policies, as reflected by the last Gaza war, the Military Police and State Prosecutor’s Office are focusing on a single case of low-level severity.
The state’s attempt to bring down one of Israel’s most important anti-occupation organizations may backfire in a big way.
Case is being brought against Breaking the Silence, which publishes anonymous testimonies of Israeli soldiers.
State attorney wants NGO to reveal soldiers who gave testimony about troops' misbehavior.
we must ask ourselves if we have fulfilled the dream of our founding fathers, or whether the ongoing occupation of the Palestinian people prevents us from establishing a society based on freedom, justice and peace. If the latter is true, as I believe...
07.05.2016[The Washington Post]
The organizers hope their words will kindle reflection, outrage, change. They think that after five decades of daily news coverage, often numbing in its narrative of stalled 'peace processes' and kill-reprisal-repeat, the Israel-Palestinian conflict needs...
“Despair is a luxury,” wrote Waldman and Chabon in their announcement of the book, explaining that that they had decided to use “our voices and our words” to bear witness to Israel’s lengthy military occupation rather than turning away in hopelessness....
Award-winning Australian author Geraldine Brooks returns to the Middle East, where she began her career as a journalist, to observe life under Israeli occupation for a book that will mark 50 years since Israel took control of the West Bank.
in campus environments where hostility to and suspicion of Israel and the IDF run high, men and women like Nadav show skeptics that Israeli soldiers are not monsters, but complex human beings. They show that there are Israelis committed to helping their...
30.03.2016[The Jewish Week]
Nonetheless, in a country where the army is an almost sacred institution and where almost everybody serves, their mission and tactics make them very controversial. This time, Breaking the Silence was accused of collecting classified information about...
I work for Breaking the Silence. But why should my grandparents be woken up by a 1 A.M. phone call telling them their granddaughter is a whore? Will anyone end the incitement?
All such tactics have the same goal: To divert discussion from the injustices that left-wing organizations expose into a debate over the organizations themselves.
The campaign against the Israeli Left continues: why did Channel 2 air a segment that paints Breaking the Silence as a traitorous organization that peddles in state secrets?
What will the prime minister do on the day the Israeli public gets up and refuses to keep living by the sword?
Israeli leaders strive to present Breaking the Silence as the enemy. Outlawing the human rights group would not bode well for Israeli freedom of expression.
Netanyahu announces probe after Channel 2 reports group milks former soldiers for information about military activity; group fires back, saying testimonies it publishes are in line with IDF censorship guidelines.
Ari Shavit’s strategies for bridging the gap between U.S. Jews and Israel effectively act to obscure the line that separates Israel from the occupied territories. That line is what Breaking the Silence seeks to protect.
Breaking the Silence initiative will bring famous authors to Israel and West Bank, to tell real stories.
The orchestrated onslaught against Israeli anti-occupation groups have led to death threats and physical attacks. But we will not be scared — we are determined to save our country from the same messianic, nationalistic, and racist forces that harm it.
- Fri, 24 Jun 2016 12:12:26They tell us, "Don't talk about the occupation abroad - you're harming Israel's international reputation."
Oh yeah? https://t.co/mj9iTctilN
- Thu, 23 Jun 2016 17:02:00We’re pleased to share with you a handful of the activities we carried out these past few weeks>> https://t.co/jHiYbVSEQy
- Mon, 20 Jun 2016 17:34:02Despite prior commitments, yesterday the CA arrived in the South Hebron Hills area to carry out demolition orders>> https://t.co/dgLlPYRXsK
- Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:17:19This morning we visited Qalandiya checkpoint with @machsomwatch to see the insufferable reality of checkpoints https://t.co/ebjohKZdZr
- Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:19:38We're proud to host the Nobel Prize winning author Mario Vargas Llosa as part of our writers' project>> #btswrites https://t.co/fHnTvBHdHF
- Wed, 08 Jun 2016 16:39:15"This was a no-brainer, it was right in front of the settlement.. I saw the trails left by the vehicles myself."
- Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:44:07#btswrites https://t.co/bMp28nRrXd
- Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:42:10RT @extendtours: In #Hebron learning about street closures with @BtSIsrael #ExtendTour https://t.co/u6aPdxQnOD
- Mon, 06 Jun 2016 16:11:10Authors @michaelchabon and @ayeletw Waldman interviewed in https://t.co/AB4AgeV6Yf about our joint project>> https://t.co/VAaM2tPIWK
- Sun, 05 Jun 2016 18:10:31The time has come to break the silence - the time has (long) come to end the occupation. https://t.co/0Jn3WGzhzc
- Sun, 05 Jun 2016 11:53:06@porridgeisgood Mary send us you email and we'll contact you, or write to us at: email@example.com
- Thu, 02 Jun 2016 17:34:29So why do we speak out abroad? Because (not) everything is rosy>> https://t.co/bysIxnKJVK
- Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:38:27Soldiers' testimonies on the Civil Administration indicate that often, re-mapping enables settlement expansion>> https://t.co/gDoL2bTK72
- Wed, 01 Jun 2016 15:50:06RT @PKhakpour: A most harrowing day at the most hopeless place I've ever visited, Hebron. #btswrites https://t.co/5xGQDfZutF
- Wed, 01 Jun 2016 15:49:27RT @PKhakpour: More ghosts of Hebron. https://t.co/NsGBJfei5u
- Tue, 31 May 2016 11:16:21RT @PKhakpour: Constant heartbreak in Hebron hills--villages lack electricity, tent homes, squalor #btswrites https://t.co/6Ea7qZBRrD
- Mon, 30 May 2016 13:20:03RT @PKhakpour: Palestinian Susiya in the South Hebron Hills #BtSWrites https://t.co/Bhk0oG1zVe
- Mon, 30 May 2016 13:14:56RT @PKhakpour: What had brought me to Israel & Palestine #BtSWrites https://t.co/r2WqAQemVG
- Mon, 30 May 2016 13:13:11RT @PKhakpour: Susiya #BtSWrites https://t.co/GJ42uIusoi
- Tue, 24 May 2016 14:49:02Remember the Samaria Settlers’ Committee? Great. Pretty soon we'll be funding them again! https://t.co/GlVrFM7IBf