Yehuda Shaul writes of how he and his friends learned to glorify power, and lost their ability to see Palestinians as people whose lives are no less valuable. Now, he and hundreds of others are working to end the occupation.
13.08.2014[The Huffington Post]
I write this with great sorrow for civilians hurt on both sides. Sorrow for our soldiers who have fallen in this operation, and sorrow for the future of my country and the entire region. I know that as I write, soldiers like me have fired shells into Gaza.
04.08.2014[The Jewish Week]
As an Israeli citizen who loves his home, I hope that many other citizens will join me in calling on Israel to stop this practice of bombing homes with their inhabitants inside – an act that causes unreasonable harm to Gazan civilians.
Veterans have made their testimonies available to 'The Independent' to make a statement against the current fighting
Once there was widespread Israeli outrage over the bombing of homes in Gaza. Now there is just indifference
But former IDF sergeant Avner Gvaryahu is among the minority of Israelis critical of military operations in Palestinian territories, including the latest three-week war in Gaza.
Instead of trying to explain and justify it, we must act to change it. These are the days when we have to say: it's time to end the occupation.
I will never forget the evening my friends and I were sent to kill Palestinian police officers in a revenge attack. We went from soldiers sent to defend our families to murderers of innocent people.
There are moral red lines. Why do we keep crossing them?
26.06.2014[ The Jewish Chronicle ]
A group of former Israeli diplomats and politicians have sprung to the defence of Board of Deputies treasurer Laurence Brass over his outspoken comments about the situation of Palestinians on the West Bank.
19.06.2014[The Irish Times]
Yehuda Shaul says disturbing images represent norm in occupied territories
Israelis have grown increasingly insular, indignant and intolerant in recent years: this is the incident that could push them over the edge.
In Hebron, Palestinians are subjected to daily indignities—large and small.
Israeli organization “Breaking the Silence” celebrated their tenth anniversary last week in Habima Square in Tel Aviv with public readings from a selection of the nearly one thousand Israeli Defense Forces soldier testimonies the group has collected since their inception
Fear not the provocateurs and the agitators but rather the unspeaking, yourselves, 'the silent majority.'
12.06.2014[ The Jewish Chronicle]
A group called Breaking the Silence has spent 10 years collecting accounts from Israeli soldiers who served in the Palestinian territories. To mark the milestone, 10 hours' worth of testimony was read to an audience in Tel Aviv. Here we print some extracts
05.06.2014[The Sydney Morning Herald ]
This year, Israel celebrated its 66th anniversary. For 47 of those years, Israel has maintained military control over the occupied territories. This is not a side project; this is the Israeli national project.
On the occasion of 10 years since the founding of Breaking the Silence, a former IDF soldier talks about how he came to understand the immorality of the mission his country sent him on, and Israeli society’s silence surrounding it.
One particular settlement announcement that made headlines in Israel was a development in the tense West Bank city of Hebron.
Avner Gvaryahu, spokesperson for the anti-occupation group Breaking the Silence: ‘We want as many public figures as possible to assume responsibility, in broad daylight, for the kind of stories every soldier knows to tell.’
- Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:42:32"In order to grow up, we need to stop thinking like occupiers, and to start thinking like human beings. As human...
- Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:18:57We would like to congratulate our friends at B'Tselem for their candidancy for the Václav Havel Human Rights...
- Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:39:39Main check-point in #hebron connecting H1-H2 changes after a flare was shot at it in riots last week.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:18:58In susya with a full bus of people learning about the occupation.
- Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:55:05keep following also on Twitter @btsisrael & updates on http://t.co/KXMcuttgqP http://t.co/d231uucYsG
- Tue, 19 Aug 2014 18:24:28We endeavor to stimulate public debate about the price paid for a reality in which young soldiers face a civilian...
- Sun, 17 Aug 2014 16:37:55Last night we joined the demonstration in Tel Aviv and called for an end to violence in the region!
- Mon, 11 Aug 2014 14:52:11During the past difficult weeks we have published articles in various languages in the international media, we...
- Wed, 06 Aug 2014 17:02:11Yehuda Shaul, one of the founding members of Breaking the Silence in an article to the Jewish Week:
- Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:37:21We invite you to join this relevent initiative, a Tisha B' Av service to mourn the destruction in Gaza and...
- Tue, 05 Aug 2014 13:26:43This following article by Ben Lynfield of The Independent features a few of our testifiers who have served in...
- Sun, 03 Aug 2014 13:52:31"Later, in various operations … tunnels and others, usually they gave an order: Ok, take down a wall, or make an...
- Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:32:32Distinguising between soldier, citizen and enemy in battle, is close to impossible in such a complex environment...
- Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:28:13Thank you for 100,000 likes to help us end the occupation and the cycle of violence! Keep sharing until change comes!
- Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:49:43"What’s worse is that almost no one protests. Entire families are erased in a second, and the Israeli public...
- Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:53:09As soldiers who served in Gaza over the last few years, we know that Israel hasn't really "disengaged" from Gaza,...
- Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:54:47Last night, we stood with thousands of people in Rabin sq. and called together for an end to the violence in Gaza...
- Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:24:49"Inconcivible damage. Not I nor anyone with me could begin to imagine how people would ever live there again."...
- Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:37:26As Israeli soldiers we have a questions for the Israeli government
- Sun, 20 Jul 2014 14:08:34On Thursday we stood together and called for an end to the cycle of violence, while over the past few weeks the...