Gil Hillel, and activist in Breaking the Silence, writes about the routine of occupation.
Testimonies from former Israeli soldiers have failed to touch the Israeli public or change the state’s policies. The IDF gives an ‘explanation’ for why it ignores these and all other occupation stories told by the men and women of Breaking the Silence.
This campaign is of special significance to me because it gives voice to the women who comprise Israel’s army and its mechanism for continued occupation and oppression, happening within a society (local and global) in which, as women, they already exist in a gender power dynamic of systematic discrimination...
The message reads: “We are the army. Be careful if we see you, we’re going to catch you or come to your house.”
A certain air of nostalgia dominated Maariv’s headline last Thursday: “Due to criticism in the world, IDF parts ways with white phosphorus”
Israeli Ta’ayush activists who were accompanying Palestinian shepherds in the southern West Bank village Umm al Amad on Saturday were confronted by a soldier who lost his cool, to say the least.
19.04.2013[This American Life]
This week, Israeli soldiers take snapshots of Palestinian boys, one house at a time, in the middle of the night. This and other stories where getting the picture gives you the upper hand.
A Palestinian is attacked by a famous settler. Police detain the Palestinian, but not the settler – because it’s already Shabbat.
Saeed Malashe is accused of swiping chewing gum, cola and cigarettes from a convenience store, holding up his weapon and intimidating the checkout clerk so he could leave without paying.
Police make rare arrests in connection to settler violence against Palestinians. But the circumstances surrounding the shooting were unique, and likely played no small role in pushing police to investigate seriously.
Do not be misled by the paranoid helplessness of the six powerful men in Dror Moreh’s film – the end goal of Israel’s military rule is the complete demise of the dream of Palestinian independence.
But this is Hebron, and the dramatic horror is very much real. In front of us is a small landing at the top of a hill overlooking the old city, with the Cave of the Patriarchs in plain view. On the landing, a Palestinian youth guide is taking children on two-minute horse rides, one at a time. Watching...
15.03.2013[The New York Times]
"But armies, by their nature, have one default response to opposition: force. One soldier who served in Nabi Saleh testified to the Israeli veterans’ group Breaking the Silence about preparing for Friday protests. “It’s like some kind of game,” he said.
At least five young unarmed people shot by soldiers despite rules permitting live fire only in extreme circumstances
Dor Sandak is an activist with “Breaking the Silence” writes: "A 21-year-old Palestinian student was killed by Israeli army fire last week. I suppose that just like myself back then, today too, soldiers shoot because that is what their sergeant ordered them to do: to teach a lesson, to remain in...
Avner Gvaryahu, a social worker and activist with Breaking the Silence, writes about rules of engagement in the Palestinian territories.
The Israeli army arrested 10 Palestinians and five Israelis in the South Hebron Hills today (Saturday) while they were trying to reach Palestinian-owned land next to the illegal outpost called Mitzpeh Yair, in the southern West Bank.
Petition relates to area in the South Hebron Hills that was declared a live-fire zone in the early 1980s, and which Defense Minister Barak decided in July 2012 requires the eviction of 8 of 12 Palestinian villages.
New light is shed on the shooting death of non-violent demonstrator Bassem Abu Rahme in Bil’in in 2009: A soldier who served in the same brigade as the shooter testifies how the incident was perceived by other soldiers
Soldiers forced the cameramen to leave their vehicle, punched them, striking them with the butts of their guns, as well as forcing them to strip
How degrading and demeaning has living under military occupation been to Palestinians such as that farmer? The testimonies collected in Our Harsh Logic: Israeli Soldiers’ Testimonies From the Occupied Territories, 2000–2010
- Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:05:52972 magazine: "The soldiers in Breaking the Silence are, “a thousand points of light” in the Israeli darkness"
- Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:23:42Larry Derfner from 972 Magazine writes about Breaking the Silence and the IDF's response to our latest...
- Tue, 11 Jun 2013 12:22:48At the Hebrew University in Jerusalem- we came here to present our video testimonies!
- Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:21:48That's us/
- Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:31:19"Why didn't I shout it out at the very moment?" #breakingthesilence
- Sun, 09 Jun 2013 20:04:57women soldiers testifying about the occupied Palestinian territories
- Sun, 09 Jun 2013 17:49:08why I break the silence?
- Sun, 09 Jun 2013 14:20:14"gift". #testimonies #video #femalesoldiers
- Thu, 06 Jun 2013 05:44:00Painting a Green Line Through Jerusalem
- Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:27:23June 2013. This mean 46 years of occupation in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT).
46 years in which...
- Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:28:52June 2013. This mean 46 years of occupation in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT).
46 years in which we...
- Wed, 05 Jun 2013 09:06:36Acting the Landlord: Israel's Policy in Area C, the West Bank
- Mon, 03 Jun 2013 08:44:25“We are the army. Be careful if we see you, we’re going to catch you or come to your house.”
- Sun, 02 Jun 2013 21:26:03IDF releases video clip from violent arrest of Budrus teen.
- Sun, 02 Jun 2013 08:56:03As soldiers in the occupied territories we use to call these practices "creating the feeling of being chased"....
- Sat, 01 Jun 2013 19:43:57IDF soldiers posted leaflets in the West Bank village warning children to refrain from attending demonstrations.
- Thu, 30 May 2013 16:44:08Yesterday's book launch event in Jerusalem, with lectures by Yehuda Shaul and Michael Sfard.
In this book,...
- Wed, 29 May 2013 08:00:02Many infantry soldiers have testified about the practice of "mock arrests": soldiers break into someone's house...
- Tue, 28 May 2013 16:28:38Israeli Soldiers beat family members, damage home while arresting Palestinian teen
- Fri, 24 May 2013 13:08:36Palestinian hospitalized after IDF handcuffs, abandons him at checkpoint.