Avner Gvaryahu, a social worker and activist with Breaking the Silence, writes about rules of engagement in the Palestinian territories.
A certain air of nostalgia dominated Maariv’s headline last Thursday: “Due to criticism in the world, IDF parts ways with white phosphorus”
Israeli Ta’ayush activists who were accompanying Palestinian shepherds in the southern West Bank village Umm al Amad on Saturday were confronted by a soldier who lost his cool, to say the least.
19.04.2013[This American Life]
This week, Israeli soldiers take snapshots of Palestinian boys, one house at a time, in the middle of the night. This and other stories where getting the picture gives you the upper hand.
A Palestinian is attacked by a famous settler. Police detain the Palestinian, but not the settler – because it’s already Shabbat.
Saeed Malashe is accused of swiping chewing gum, cola and cigarettes from a convenience store, holding up his weapon and intimidating the checkout clerk so he could leave without paying.
Police make rare arrests in connection to settler violence against Palestinians. But the circumstances surrounding the shooting were unique, and likely played no small role in pushing police to investigate seriously.
Do not be misled by the paranoid helplessness of the six powerful men in Dror Moreh’s film – the end goal of Israel’s military rule is the complete demise of the dream of Palestinian independence.
But this is Hebron, and the dramatic horror is very much real. In front of us is a small landing at the top of a hill overlooking the old city, with the Cave of the Patriarchs in plain view. On the landing, a Palestinian youth guide is taking children on two-minute horse rides, one at a time. Watching...
15.03.2013[The New York Times]
"But armies, by their nature, have one default response to opposition: force. One soldier who served in Nabi Saleh testified to the Israeli veterans’ group Breaking the Silence about preparing for Friday protests. “It’s like some kind of game,” he said.
At least five young unarmed people shot by soldiers despite rules permitting live fire only in extreme circumstances
Dor Sandak is an activist with “Breaking the Silence” writes: "A 21-year-old Palestinian student was killed by Israeli army fire last week. I suppose that just like myself back then, today too, soldiers shoot because that is what their sergeant ordered them to do: to teach a lesson, to remain in...
The Israeli army arrested 10 Palestinians and five Israelis in the South Hebron Hills today (Saturday) while they were trying to reach Palestinian-owned land next to the illegal outpost called Mitzpeh Yair, in the southern West Bank.
Petition relates to area in the South Hebron Hills that was declared a live-fire zone in the early 1980s, and which Defense Minister Barak decided in July 2012 requires the eviction of 8 of 12 Palestinian villages.
New light is shed on the shooting death of non-violent demonstrator Bassem Abu Rahme in Bil’in in 2009: A soldier who served in the same brigade as the shooter testifies how the incident was perceived by other soldiers
Soldiers forced the cameramen to leave their vehicle, punched them, striking them with the butts of their guns, as well as forcing them to strip
How degrading and demeaning has living under military occupation been to Palestinians such as that farmer? The testimonies collected in Our Harsh Logic: Israeli Soldiers’ Testimonies From the Occupied Territories, 2000–2010
Basic moral principles require that Israel cease destroying cisterns that are essential for the existence of dozens of Palestinian communities
So Supreme Court President Asher Grunis said shortly before a partially built mosque in the West Bank was pulled down.
A new movie and book shed light on the effect of Israel’s military presence in the West Bank on its soldiers
There is no possibility that Israel’s Civil Administration will fairly and properly plan for Palestinians in Area C if they are not at the table when their fate is decided
- Tue, 14 May 2013 12:18:23Many new events and activities in our “Breaking the Silence” student club in the Hebrew University in Jerusalem:...
- Mon, 13 May 2013 09:33:02Very happy and excited to be part of this year's "Limud" event in Germany!
Avner Gvaryahu, a former paratroops...
- Mon, 13 May 2013 06:29:49Palestinians from the village Azmut pray to protest against the continuing land seizure by the neighboring settlement
- Sat, 11 May 2013 11:30:01Read the testimony on looting-->
- Fri, 10 May 2013 08:30:03Read the full testimony on Human Shields in Gaza Strip-->
- Thu, 09 May 2013 14:39:53
- Thu, 09 May 2013 14:42:24so what does "rules of engagement" mean? read the full testimony http://t.co/QIKE9N0R7S http://t.co/kKpcjvioMY
- Thu, 09 May 2013 12:47:15Read the full testimony here:
- Thu, 09 May 2013 06:17:18Children under 12 cannot be arrested, An op-ed by Bezelem's executive director, Jessica Montell.
- Mon, 06 May 2013 08:21:04"The goal is to instill fear"
- Fri, 03 May 2013 14:13:22The Israeli military interrupts the launch event for a new graphic novel. Read more- http://t.co/04KlYC1jSt http://t.co/mf7x0um2yb
- Fri, 03 May 2013 10:55:06Ending this week in Hebron with two groups of students who came to see and learn more about the Israeli...
- Fri, 03 May 2013 06:53:35"Get someone in the leg" #video #testimony
- Wed, 01 May 2013 09:18:40"Mock arrest is like a regular arrest, to teach you how to do arrests, but it’s in a house someone lives in."
- Wed, 01 May 2013 07:43:57Israeli soldiers try to push back Israeli setters, after they attack the West Bank village of Yabta. https://t.co/DN1l3xxK5I
- Wed, 01 May 2013 06:05:49Creeping dispossession destroys Palestinian agrarian communities.
- Sun, 28 Apr 2013 20:51:20The Israeli army announced that it will stop using shells containing phosphorus because “It doesn’t photograph well”
- Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:04:55Now in #Hebron with a group of rabbinical students from Project Hayei Sarah: educational tour on the religious and...
- Fri, 26 Apr 2013 06:10:06Breaking the Silence in This American Life. A must listen!
- Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:43:58RT @JoakimWohlfeil: Exellent about Breaking the Silence in Swedens biggest radio actuality show @btsisrael @diakoniasverige