Irish author Colm Toibin toured the West Bank last week to collect material for his contribution to an a 2017 anthology.
Critics say law, which mandates special requirements for NGOs that get most of their funding from foreign governments, disproportionately targets human rights organizations.
Seeing the reality of Hebron with groups like Breaking the Silence is important. But it’s even more crucial to take the anti-occupation message back into our Diaspora Jewish communities.
Their literary reflections on all aspects of life in the territories - from the military court system to Ramallah’s hip-hop scene - will be published in 2017 in an anthology organised by Breaking the Silence, a group of former Israeli soldiers trying...
$20,000 donation almost four times amount of Ben-Gurion University prize nixed by its president.
By retracting a prize to Breaking the Silence in the name of 'the consensus', Ben-Gurion University has made a dangerous capitulation to the forces that seek to suppress civil society.
The anti-occupation NGO was to get a prize for Jewish-Arab understanding until Ben-Gurion University's president overturned her department head's decision.
The dissonance generated by a visit to Hebron and a dinner in Tel Aviv jolted Israeli-born writer Ayelet Waldman. It also sparked the genesis of a project with her husband, writer Michael Chabon, and Breaking the Silence: enlisting world-famous writers...
Israel is trying to force a leading anti-occupation NGO to reveal the identities of the soldiers who testified to it.. a move that the group says will effectively put it out of business.
This case smacks of scapegoating. Instead of investigating the Israel Defense Forces’ assault policies, as reflected by the last Gaza war, the Military Police and State Prosecutor’s Office are focusing on a single case of low-level severity.
The state’s attempt to bring down one of Israel’s most important anti-occupation organizations may backfire in a big way.
Case is being brought against Breaking the Silence, which publishes anonymous testimonies of Israeli soldiers.
State attorney wants NGO to reveal soldiers who gave testimony about troops' misbehavior.
we must ask ourselves if we have fulfilled the dream of our founding fathers, or whether the ongoing occupation of the Palestinian people prevents us from establishing a society based on freedom, justice and peace. If the latter is true, as I believe...
07.05.2016[The Washington Post]
The organizers hope their words will kindle reflection, outrage, change. They think that after five decades of daily news coverage, often numbing in its narrative of stalled 'peace processes' and kill-reprisal-repeat, the Israel-Palestinian conflict needs...
“Despair is a luxury,” wrote Waldman and Chabon in their announcement of the book, explaining that that they had decided to use “our voices and our words” to bear witness to Israel’s lengthy military occupation rather than turning away in hopelessness....
Award-winning Australian author Geraldine Brooks returns to the Middle East, where she began her career as a journalist, to observe life under Israeli occupation for a book that will mark 50 years since Israel took control of the West Bank.
in campus environments where hostility to and suspicion of Israel and the IDF run high, men and women like Nadav show skeptics that Israeli soldiers are not monsters, but complex human beings. They show that there are Israelis committed to helping their...
30.03.2016[The Jewish Week]
Nonetheless, in a country where the army is an almost sacred institution and where almost everybody serves, their mission and tactics make them very controversial. This time, Breaking the Silence was accused of collecting classified information about...
I work for Breaking the Silence. But why should my grandparents be woken up by a 1 A.M. phone call telling them their granddaughter is a whore? Will anyone end the incitement?
All such tactics have the same goal: To divert discussion from the injustices that left-wing organizations expose into a debate over the organizations themselves.
- Thu, 21 Jul 2016 13:54:12"He needed American Jewish privilege, the privilege that gives American Jews protection from the Israeli state." >> https://t.co/YCMBSJzLAa
- Wed, 20 Jul 2016 17:11:48Read in https://t.co/AB4AgeV6Yf about our latest writers delegation's, with Irish author Colm Toibin among others>> https://t.co/lP0t1vviYB
- Sun, 17 Jul 2016 16:58:36‘Demonstration of presence’ is one of the missions we know best from our service. Why? https://t.co/o9dLdd5OvB https://t.co/lPWGQbR2C0
- Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:40:37Yesterday we took part in a panel organized by @AIPAC for a delegation of progressive rabbis. Here's a taste>> https://t.co/SOTQEU3eXo
- Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:12:09The NGO Bill approved- 'cos they don't want you to know
We'll continue to break the silence till the occupation ends
- Sun, 10 Jul 2016 18:12:53The soldiers who served there took responsibility and broke the silence. What about you?
- Sun, 03 Jul 2016 16:52:12Here’s a short taste of our tour with Nobel Prize-winning novelist Mario Vargas Llosa in Israel and the West Bank>> https://t.co/HB8Htln86g
- Sat, 02 Jul 2016 19:19:57The @Telegraph with Mario Vargas Llosa, about his experiences from his visit to Israel and the Occupied Territories> https://t.co/EecUMkG71L
- Fri, 01 Jul 2016 16:08:22The @Telegraph with Mario Vargas Llosa, about his experiences from his visit to Israel and the Occupied Territories> https://t.co/5NrgPZqykc
- Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:20:33We would like to extend our wholehearted gratitude to our dear friends at @NewIsraelFund for standing beside us>> https://t.co/9IpjwGCTBP
- Wed, 29 Jun 2016 17:03:52Read the https://t.co/AB4AgeV6Yf editorial on how Ben-Gurion University's admin surrendered to political pressure>> https://t.co/A5GdHcLdLT
- Tue, 28 Jun 2016 16:18:07No other way to interpret this unusual measure, other than as buckling before the campaign of incitement >> https://t.co/DrN3VpiJuV
- Fri, 24 Jun 2016 12:12:26They tell us, "Don't talk about the occupation abroad - you're harming Israel's international reputation."
Oh yeah? https://t.co/mj9iTctilN
- Thu, 23 Jun 2016 17:02:00We’re pleased to share with you a handful of the activities we carried out these past few weeks>> https://t.co/jHiYbVSEQy
- Mon, 20 Jun 2016 17:34:02Despite prior commitments, yesterday the CA arrived in the South Hebron Hills area to carry out demolition orders>> https://t.co/dgLlPYRXsK
- Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:17:19This morning we visited Qalandiya checkpoint with @machsomwatch to see the insufferable reality of checkpoints https://t.co/ebjohKZdZr
- Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:19:38We're proud to host the Nobel Prize winning author Mario Vargas Llosa as part of our writers' project>> #btswrites https://t.co/fHnTvBHdHF
- Wed, 08 Jun 2016 16:39:15"This was a no-brainer, it was right in front of the settlement.. I saw the trails left by the vehicles myself."
- Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:44:07#btswrites https://t.co/bMp28nRrXd
- Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:42:10RT @extendtours: In #Hebron learning about street closures with @BtSIsrael #ExtendTour https://t.co/u6aPdxQnOD