Checks should be made out to “Breaking the Silence” and sent to:
6713206 Tel Aviv
“Breaking the Silence”
Account number 340211, Branch 567 at Hapoalim Bank
US tax deductible donations can be made through the website of the New Israel Fund.
For tax deductible donations from Europe please contact email@example.com
The testimonies we publish hold a mirror before the face of Israeli society, and portray a very unpleasant image. Therefore it isn’t surprising that some public responses are extreme – ranging from ignoring testimonies, to complete denial, to violent intimidation and persecution. In parallel, much of the public understands the importance of the publication of these testimonies. Each year, ever more soldiers reach out to us in order to break their silence, and ever more groups and communities contact us to hear about the reality we experienced as soldiers in the occupied territories.
● On our website and in our various publications, thousands of testimonies can be found, from different areas, periods, and military units. Among these testimonies, one may find many varying incidents, each of which can lead to possible lessons and insights. Yet what all testimonies share is their description of Israeli military control over a civilian Palestinian population, namely, the reality of the occupation.
● Our understanding of the nature of the occupation is based on the thousands of testimonies we have collected and published to date, each of which adds another detail to the bigger picture portraying military activity in the occupied territories.
• Breaking the Silence does not collect classified information.
• For over 13 years we have interviewed numerous soldiers about their experiences in the occupied territories, hearing from them what military control over a civilian population looks like. We act both responsibly and professionally, consulting with senior legal sources upon interfacing with relevant figures in the military system.
• All testimonies are approved by the Israeli Military Censor prior to publication, thus precluding any possible damage to national security. We have engaged in ongoing dialogue with the Military Censor since the establishment of Breaking the Silence, and we continue to do so to date.
• National security and data protection are our top priorities. Accordingly, we operate with the requisite responsibility, to the apparent satisfaction of relevant bodies in the security services, who are well aware of both the type of information we address, and its scope.
• No. We have never published, nor will we ever publish, any information that has the potential to compromise national security in any way.
• Each and every Breaking the Silence publication is approved by the military censor, as required by law. We only publish material after it has gone through our meticulous verification process, and has received the Military Censor’s approval.
• Throughout the course of our existence we have never breached any of the Military Censor’s directions, nor have we ever been approached by any relevant officials concerning our published materials.
• The only individuals who have disseminated classified materials in the context of Breaking the Silence, were the Ad Kan moles, through their attempt to delegitimize and falsely incriminate us. Channel 10 journalist, Raviv Drucker, exposed that Ad Kan dispatched a mole named Roy Peled, who insisted on providing us with classified information. This attempt failed, of course. It is well worth noting that in their attempt to falsely incriminate Breaking the Silence, Ad Kan was willing to risk the release of classified information. Fortunately, this attempt was thwarted.